started jamming with my friend dimas and my problem with rhythm and timing is becoming highlighted…I have improved quite a bit with regard to general singing techniques…but i am still having trouble with my rhythm and timing…i have problem starting on time, and get lost after bridges and solos, and also when it is a slow song and the rests are quite big, I just seem to get out of patience and start singing without listening to the music…after reading on the net and discussing it with dimas, here are the different techniques that I can use to improve it.
1) start using my karaoke tracks, but without looking at the lyric
2) use my music minus one tracks more often
3) start the music, play it for a bit, mute it for a while without stopping to sing, and unmute the song later on, and see if I am still on track…
4) start playing a drum machine and sing only with that..
5) dont use any music, but start counting and sing without the harmony part, just to make sure you get the timings right..
6) do rhythm exercises like rhythm dication and imitation using some software and get the feel of beat, half beats, rests and so on…
So for me the best way seem to be to use 1-3 and 6, and see if anything improves…so whenever I have free time to sing, instead of singing along with the singer, I will try to do it with a karaoke track or the music minus one…. strategey should be choose, about five songs that I like and that we have agreed to sing with Dimas (I have to consult my karaoke list and my minus one to decide these), and then work relentlessly on it, I can afford to work on this about one hour every day, cause I can do this while cooking, taking shower, shitting, .... so the plan is to be able to play the five songs without any glitch…and hopefully in the mean time I will be more groovy and listen to the music that is being played instead of just trying to remember the original, which is basically the main problem ….