I’m improving, but still got a long way to go :)
10 years after introducing 43 Things to the world, we have decided we have met our last goal: completing the incredible experience that has been 43 Things. Please join us in giving one last cheer to all the folks who have shared their goals with the world, as well as all the people who have worked at The Robot Co-op to build this incredible website. We won a Webby Award, published a book, and brought happiness to a lot of people.
Starting today, 43 Things users can export their goals and entries from the site. Starting August 15, we will make the site “read only”. 43 Things users will still be able to view the site and export their content, but we won’t be taking any new content from users. We hope to leave the site up for folks to see and download their content until the end of the year. Ending on New Year’s Eve takes us full circle.
It has been a long ride (one of our original goals was to "build a company that lasts at least 2 years” - we beat that one!) While we wish the site could live on, it has suffered from a number of challenges - changes in how people use the site, the advertising industry, and how search engines view the site. We wish the outcome was different – but we’ve always been realistic about when our goals are met and when they aren't.
As of today, you will be able to download your goals and entries. See more about that on the FAQ page. Thanks for 10 great years of goal-setting and achieving.
- The Robots.
I’m improving, but still got a long way to go :)
I’ve always been a shy person who kept to herself. Last year I tried something new; when ever someone approached me, I instantly smiled! Even if I spoke a little or paused because I didn’t know what to say next, I still kept a geniune smile on my face. And as crazy and simple as it sounds, a smile was all I needed to break the ice and to start conversing one-on-one without feeling insecure or intimidated. Public speaking on the other hand, I’ve yet to figure out!
I’m actually making progress in regards to this goal. Just a couple of months ago I was saying “I can never keep a journal”. I guess I just have a lot of thoughts nowadays that I need to get off my mind before I go insane with over-thinking. It took a lot of guts to write down “exactly” what I was feeling, but as the days passed, it became easier and easier to write more. Now my journal is like my private best friend, a true confidant!
“The notion of looking on at life has always been hateful to me. What am I if I am not a participant? In order to be, I must participate.”—Antoine de Saint-Exupery
“To find our mission in the world, to arrive at that place where our lives make sense as part of an elegant pattern of purpose, is probably the underlying quest of all human endeavor.”
- Pythia Peay
I’m finally learning how to swim. I began my first lesson 3 weeks ago. It’s so much fun. I love the feeling of moving around in water. The breathing exercises are exhausting though—need more practice! <3
Date: Mon., March 26, 2012
Pros: This time I got the opportunity to drive right away at the beginning of the session all the way until the end. I loved the fact that the instructor trusted me enough to drive on my own, only assisting me with the wheel and brakes when absolutely necessary.
Outlook: Can’t wait for my next lesson!
Date: Sat., March 24, 2012
Weather: Cloudy & Windy
Pros: It was like playing a life sized obstacle video game. I had to be both mindful of the controls (i.e. wheel, petal, etc.) and objects outside the window (i.e. cars, people, stop signs, etc.). Lol, weird analogy I know, but it was a lot of fun!
Cons: Fortunately, I didn’t mess up. There was a nerve-wrecking moment though when I had to cross a four way cross road. I survived!x
Outlook: Can’t wait for my second lesson!!!
I know I accomplished this goal when I know how to use my “left-hand” (the non-dominant one) for
typing, writing, and drawing.
Currently interested in:
- Art: Sketching, Painting, Multimedia, Pottery, etc.
- Photography: Conceptual
- Writing: Novels, Poetry
- World Religions
- Humanitarian Aid
I went to the U.S. for a much needed break. It was like a breath of fresh air! My joyful reminiscings include solitute, nature, bicycling, a good book, a basketball being constantly flung into a net, and long car rides filled with new sceneries for my eyes.
Eat – Soft Yougrt w/ fruits & Granola
Drink – Coffee mocha w/ whipped cream and caramel
Learn – I’ve learned that I’m extremely lazy… need to change that :P.
Try – I’m trying to teach myself speed/mental math
Eat – I made my own veggie burger topped with pickles, onions, ketchup, and Mayonnaise. It was really good! :) ~ I also tried turkey veggie slices (:)) and veggie hot dogs (:() for the first time!
Drink – I made my own drink this month. It was a combination of avocado, dates, honey, and sugar. It was realllyyy good! <3
Learn – For some strange reason, I feel really comfortable with myself this month. I guess I finally learned to not care what others think of me as long as I’m a good person :)
Try something new – I finally gained the confidence to climb a tree to a reasonable height! Couldn’t be happier :DD
I fell in love with this hairstyle, so I went to the salon and got it. Surprisingly I looked good in it too. Couldn’t be happier! :DD
1. “I invent nothing. I rediscover.” – Rodin
2. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost
3. “My life has a superb cast but I can’t figure out the plot.” – Ashleigh Brilliant
4. “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” – Albert Einstein
5. “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” – James Dean
6. “Adventure is out there” – Pixar UP
7. “Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” – The Little Prince
8. “You’re beautiful, but you’re empty…. No one could die for you.” – The Little Prince
9. “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed” – The Little Prince
10. “What makes the desert beautiful,” says the little prince, “is that somewhere it hides a well.” – The Little Prince
11. “But the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart.” – The Little Prince
12. “I am very fond of sunsets. Come, let us go look at a sunset…” – The Little Prince
13. “All grown-ups were children first. (But few remember it)” – The Little Prince
14. “Grown-ups like numbers. When you tell them about a new friend, they never ask questions about what really matters. They never ask: “What does his voice sound like?” “What games does he like best?” “Does he collect butterflies?”. They ask: “How old is he?” “How many brothers does he have?” “How much does he weigh?” “How much money does his father make?” Only then do they think they know him.” – The Little Prince
15. “If someone loves a flower of which just one example exists among all the millions and millions of stars, that’s enough to make him happy when he looks at the stars. He tells himself, ‘My flower’s up there somewhere…’” – The Little Prince
16. “The next life or tomorrow … we can never be certain which will come first.” – Tibetan proverb
17. “An artist’s only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else’s.” – J.D. Salinger
18. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” – Audrey Hepburn
19. “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” – Audrey Hepburn
20. “I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.” – Audrey Hepburn
21. “I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.” – Audrey Hepburn
22. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!” – Audrey Hepburn
23. “Since the world has existed, there has been injustice. But it is one world, the more so as it becomes smaller, more accessible. There is just no question that there is more obligation that those who have should give to those who have nothing.” – Audrey Hepburn
24. “The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mode but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives the passion that she shows. The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.” – Audrey Hepburn
25. “The most important thing is to enjoy your life – to be happy – it’s all that matters.” – Audrey Hepburn
26. “You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him.” – Audrey Hepburn
27. “Do the little things well now. In time, great things will be presented to you.”
- Persian proverb
28. “Everyman dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Ross
29. “Greatness can only be achieved by those bold enough to attempt it.” – Napoleon
30. “Nobody’s life is entirely free of pain and sorrow.
Isn’t it a question of learning to live with them
rather than trying to avoid them?” – Eckhart Tolle
31. “Until you make peace with who you are, you’ll never be content with what you have.”
- Doris Mortman
32. “Hey. Don’t ever let somebody tell you… You can’t do something. Not even me. All right?—You got a dream… You gotta protect it. People can’t do somethin’ themselves, they wanna tell you you can’t do it. If you want somethin’, go get it. Period.” – Christopher Gardner
33. “All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.” – T. E. Lawrence
34. “The only people who fear death are those with regrets.” – Unknown
35. “I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin
36. “Whatever doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger.” – Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
37. “One should count each day a separate life.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
38. “Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.” – Victor Borge
39. “Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.” – F. P. Jones
40. “Small is the number of them that see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.”
- Albert Einstein
41. “For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and ask myself: “if today was the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something. Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.” – Steve Jobs
42. “Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself; I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.” -Groucho Marx
43. “What is the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable” – John Green
with everyone. I think it’s absolutely beautiful; making it my ultimate favorite.
“THE ART OF BEING HAPPY lies in the power of finding happiness in ordinary things. Life doesn’t force us to be perfect; it only asks us to do our best.”♥
It suits our mission of living instead of just existing, don’t you think?! :))
Eat – Frozen yogurt & Soft yogurt w/ Fruit from this store I really wanted to go to for the longest time :)
Drink – I finally tried one of those fruit & Vegetable combination drinks (this one also had an addition of Aloe Vera). It tasted more veggie and only a hint of fruit :P
Learn – “You are your problem. You are also your solution.” – Megan
Try something new – I tried to figure out how to incorporate a healthy diet into my new vegetarian lifestyle.