1. Finishing last week’s work load! I haven’t slept much, but I’m proud of the work I’ve done. (It was drawing 10 kids’ birthday cards)
2. Some 20 pages of another good book.
3. Sitting in a Starbucks, having a fun conversation, bad frapuccino, a piece of poppy seed cake, trying to pick Valentine gifts and picking nothing. It still was amusing.
1. Working hard to figure out what my priorities in life are, and getting hopeful for a better future than where I’m at right now.
2. I have a new computer screen, and I’m loving the colors. My old laptop had a greyish sort of color scheme all winter!
3. My best friend visiting, dancing to silly music, drawing and watching cartoons together.
1. Getting my last b-day present: a drawing tablet! It’s been a dream of a distant future, yet it realized today :)
2. Lighting a fire and discussing everything possible over a chocolate cake… mmmmmh!
3. Submitting my work at last! It’s been haunting me for the last 2 weeks, and it’s finally done and over with! Go me.
1. We’re having another birthday celebration tonight. Going to light our fireplace too!
2. Drawing, coming up with some good ideas, seeing them taking shape.
3. Writing about my mom’s wedding and sending pictures of it to my friends.
I think it’s because I’m young, and because I’ve had a hard life, I’m extremely susceptible to others’ views. I’m a giver… I’ve given away something I should have kept! I want to truly live alone for a while, more alone than ever, to figure out what the hell I am, what my purpose is, and what makes me happy.
1. Coming home from a long interesting walk and taking a long time to get warm, which involved lots of hot tea and a blanket
2. Listening together to an awful singer on a CD and making fun of such bad poetry
3. Reading Dante
Every day I challenge myself to read out loud from a fiction book with lots of dialogue. I do think it helps. I don’t feel like my spoken English has improved much, but people around me seem to understand everything I say. Still, what wouldn’t I give to have been born here… I love the country I come from and I don’t regret coming here, but it takes a casual get together with my friends who speak English more fluently to see clearly that I’ll never fit in with them a 100%. For them, it’s easy and fun, for me, it’s always a war.
1. Got a super long good night’s sleep
2. Exciting work ahead
3. Thinking of someone made me happy
1. Ran into every good friend I was secretly hoping to run into when I dropped by my old college.
2. Met my best friend who gave me an alarm clock as birthday present. We laughed all the way on the subway.
3. Went to Burger king for breakfast for the first time in 7 years. Food was pretty good & the view on the city from the window was nice.
4. A newspaper editor is interested in publishing my cartoon.
Oh wow, 21 out of 21 ppl think it’s worth doing. That’s comforting. I’m warming up even more to the idea now! :)
1. It’s my birthday and I’m 25! Yay. I don’t think I’ve ever been happy with my age or really aware of it, but today I felt like “Wow, I’m 25! I’m not a kid anymore, but I already know a lot and…” I don’t know what else to write, but I felt happy.
2. Got a book as my 1st gift and it looks very promising. Can’t wait to read it. Got a lot of unexpected nice greetings.
3. Had 2 chocolate candies for breakfast.
I’m really scared about it, I won’t lie. It sounds painful. I mean, it’s cartillage! Ouch. All those previous posters sound like it’s no big deal, but maybe they’ve just forgotten about the pain after a while! I’m freaking out. Also, how much does it cost?
...I’ll be having coffee after all. Haven’t slept all night, but my drawings are coming to a finish. I’m working to meet the deadline, so why am I here on 43 things? :)
Ok, I’d like to volunteer. My German is also pretty stale, but I used to be really fluent having lived in Germany for 3 years. If anyone feels they’d like to have a conversation in German, let me know and we could chat live in our rusty Deutsches on MSN or yahoo. Cheers!
1. It’s my birthday tomorrow and I’m getting my big paycheck too!
2. I managed to get out of another huge fight with my mom by really listening to her and not defending myself.
3. Had a really funny phone conversation with my brother, we sort of did improv comedy over he phone.
I still can’t understand what takes me so long to get ready. Why can’t I just leave the house 20 mins. earlier and have a decent walk and spare myself a bit of self-respect?
I got fascinated by a lory parrot in a pet store. She was just really amusing!! That parrot didn’t behave in this aloof manner like other birds, but seemed genuinely interested in entertaining me, and had this intelligent look. That parrot got sold. But it did get me thinking.
History had a lot of great lessons and many interesting personalities.. and I don’t want to feel like an ignoramus anymore. Why didn’t I pay attention in high school? Too focused on math, arts and gaining damn popularity, I’m ashamed to admit.
...is that it’s an unusual business. As an illustrator, you have to combine creativity, love of reading and a childish sense of wonder with tough business realities like self promotion, signing contracts, and demanding payment from ungrateful clients. I believe that talented artists often don’t succeed because they have trouble being both sensitive and money-oriented. Respect to those who balance both well. It’s a great challenge, but I want to learn and defeat it… need I mention my problem is definitely on the business realities’ side?
It ain’t easy, but being serious about your shortcomings only makes them more. It’s a scary thing I found out.