Some things have come up and now is not the best time to add to the family. Maybe next year.
10 years after introducing 43 Things to the world, we have decided we have met our last goal: completing the incredible experience that has been 43 Things. Please join us in giving one last cheer to all the folks who have shared their goals with the world, as well as all the people who have worked at The Robot Co-op to build this incredible website. We won a Webby Award, published a book, and brought happiness to a lot of people.
Starting today, 43 Things users can export their goals and entries from the site. Starting August 15, we will make the site “read only”. 43 Things users will still be able to view the site and export their content, but we won’t be taking any new content from users. We hope to leave the site up for folks to see and download their content until the end of the year. Ending on New Year’s Eve takes us full circle.
It has been a long ride (one of our original goals was to "build a company that lasts at least 2 years” - we beat that one!) While we wish the site could live on, it has suffered from a number of challenges - changes in how people use the site, the advertising industry, and how search engines view the site. We wish the outcome was different – but we’ve always been realistic about when our goals are met and when they aren't.
As of today, you will be able to download your goals and entries. See more about that on the FAQ page. Thanks for 10 great years of goal-setting and achieving.
- The Robots.
Some things have come up and now is not the best time to add to the family. Maybe next year.
Trying to stop gambling is hard becuase you can’t smell slot machines on someone’s breath or test thier urine for poker playing! We have to be accountable for our own actions. And unlike other additctions, the healing can’t really start right away because you need to pay for your mistakes…by getting out of debt.
I wish that I could be cured today…I wish it was over
MY 43 FAVORITE THINGS: What can I say, simple, fun and positive. She even includes pictures!!
I debated on whether I should include these place on my list. but I decided to. it has taken me 30 years to see just these:
2. Theodore Roosevelt
3. Knife River Indian Village
5. Wind Cave
6. Jewel Cave
7. Mt. Rushmore
8. Devil’s Tower
9. Joshua Tree
11. Golden Gate
12. SF Maritime
13. Canaveral National Seashore
14. Lake Mead
15. Grand Canyon
24. When my husband (then boyfriend) and I broke up – I got scared because of how he loved me unconditionally. We made it though!
25. When I lost my job when we first got married
26. Our first Christmas without any family – I never felt so lonely.
27. When my husband hated his job – I felt so bad for him
28. Realizing that gambling was taking control of my life and not being able to do anything to stop it
29. Getting into lots of debt
30. Seeing a dear friend of mine struggle with health issues and not being able to help her
31. having a miscarriage
32. When my dad got cancer
33. When we found out how bad it was
34. Seeing my dad die way too young
35. Seeing my mom grieve and increase her drinking
36. When my brother lost his job and his dream of doing what he wanted to.
37. Any World Wildlife Foundation commercial
38. Seeing a child die from cancer
39. struggling with depression after my miscarriage
40. Loosing touch with some of my friends
41. Seeing anyone struggle and not being in the position to help them
42. Starting to smoke again
43. When I lost a piece of jewelry that my grandmother gave me
Presence is more than just being there (M. Forbes)
If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies (?)
Change your thoughts & you change your world (N. Peale)
Out of difficulties grow miricles (?)
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent (E. Roosevelt)
Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice and is never the result of selfishness (N. Hill)
The sun is always shining, even when you can’t see it (?)
We become what we think and dream about (E. Nightingale)
Though no one can go back & make a new start, anyone can start from now and make a new ending (?)
Always give without remembering and always receive without forgetting (B. Tracey)
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut (W. Buffet)
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing (A. Einstein)
Impatience never comanded sucess (E. Chapin)
The best way out is always through (R. Frost)
The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up (P. Valery)
Arguing with a fool proves there are two (D. Smith)
We are far more likely to catch the vices than the virtues of our associates (?)
The more you say, the less people remember (F. Fenelon)
It requires less character to discover the faults of others than it does to tolerate them (J. Petitsenn)
Always forgive your enemies – nothing annoys them so much (O. Wilde)
Never get so busy making a living that your forget to make a life (?)
A friend is one that knows us but loves us anyway (J. Cummings)
A day of worry is more exhausting than a day of work (J. Lubbock)
Do not let what you cannot do interfer with what you can do (J. Wooden)
shape your life as much, if not more, as the happy times do. This list won’t be easy, but I hope that if I write them down, that I won’t have to carry them in my head as much (if that makes any sense)...
1. When my mom went back to work and I had to go to day care (4 years old)
2. When my baby brother was born – I really wanted a sister! (5 years old)
3. When my granmother caught me stealing her trinkets – I thought that it was okay to take them becuase they would remind me of her (6 or 7).
4. When my grandmother thought I stole something from her (about a year later) and I was not the one that took it. Thank Goodness she realized that shortly there after
5. When my grandfather had a heart attack
6. When my dog ran away
7. When my cat died
8. When we moved from CA to ND. I missed my grandparents.
9. When my other grandfather died – because I only met him once
10. When my mom started drinking again
11. When my dad’s computer business didn’t work out and he had to take a job that he didn’t like.
12. When my dad got a job he liked, but it meant that he had to move away from us.
13. When I called my brother ‘stupid’ and I got in huge trouble. Seriously – I got yelled at for over an hour. I felt horrible about it
14. Seeing my mom drunk…it was horrible and we got into tons of fights over it.
15. The fact that my mom never attended any of my games
16. When I broke my ankle and couldn’t play volleyball anymore
17. When my boyfriend dumped me after prom becuase I didnt sleep with him
18. Hearing that said boyfriend already had a baby on the way with another girl and I didn’t know about it.
19. Not being able to go to college -no $$$
20. When my brother got cancer
21. learning how bad the cancer was
22. When my brother died
23. When my other grandmother died – we were never close and I wish that we could have been.
76. Crimmping my hair
77. wearing rediculous 80’s clothes
78. punky brewster high-top sneakers
79. Garbage pail kid cards
80. the cosby show
81. grilled cheese
83. jelly shoes
84. when my mom would surprise me with treats from Avon
86. New Kids on the Block
87. Elementry School Talent Shows
88. sleep overs with my friends
89. playing house
90. baking Christmas Cookies
91. Easter Egg Hunts
92. seeing santa cluase
93. summer vacations
94. that my parents always made us feel loved
95. watching jeopardy with my brothers
96. getting hand-me-downs from my older cousins
97. my pink denim skirt
98. My baby brother
99. my first purse
100. going to the arcade
41. watching 49ers game with my family
42. watching A’s games at the stadium
43. Staying at my grandmother house
44, when my grandmother would try to teach me manners
45. making icees
46. feeding the baby goats at my grandmother’s house
47. watching fireworks
48. trick or treating – even if I always had to be a witch 10 times
49. my dog sunshine
50. getting the occasional allowance
51. using my allowance to buy furniture for my doll house
52. going to the ocean
53. big family dinners
54. Little House on the Prarie books
55. Little House on the Prarie – the show
56. Girl Scouts
57. living in a 100 year old house
58. spending time with my aunt Cyn
59. Ice Cream from Baskin Robbins
60. doughnuts from dunkin doughnuts
61. wearing frilly dresses
62. being a girly-girl
63. being daddy’s little girl
64. My dad helping me with my homework
65. frienship bracelet
66. reading my brother’s comic books
67. walking on the boardwalk
68. when my aunt would help me with my hair
69. my childhood crush – harrison ford
70. going fishing with my grandfather
71. looking at all of the old family pictures with my grandparents
72. listening to my grandmother sing
73. listening to my uncle play the guitar
74. being tought to catch – with an egg!
75. seeing my dad all dressed up for work
GET 43 DONATIONS FROM ALL OF YOU 43THINGERS FOR MY BREAST CANCER WALK IN AUGUST – THAT MEANS YOU! I love this goal because it helps fight cancer and reminds us that small contributions from many people = big results!!! I hope that sodamnlucky can reach her goal and I hope to do my part and support her!
I found the best web-site today!!! It has all kinds of facts and figures on plastic and cute graphics that you can download and use. I decided to devote the entire e-newsletter to this topic.
Our company’s Green Team has designated October as ‘Go Greener’ month, so me and my fellow committee members are getting ready for that
Thanks to everyone for your inspiration and support – I feel much more confident for this little project!
and just did it all at once. Originally, I was just going to do it gradually, but I decided to stop wasting time and just do it! Feels good to have this one done, although we’ll see how I feel once I get my paycheck…
but these look like fun and I could use some of that in my life rigt now! I will try to get on the web to find a recipe for them. Maybe next weekend would be a good time to try these things out
I thought that we made a bigger impact on our debt last month then we actually did. Bummer…I guess we need to step it up, suck it up and try harder
Since my little slip up. I have to admit that it has been tough. I am just feeling kind of blah. Work has been crazy (job security!) my friends have been cranky and depressed and I am just not sure how to deal with it all. I want to be a good friend, but I seem to absorb all of thier issues along with mine. Right now, I just need to stop worrying about everything and FOCUS on NOT GAMBLING!
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do little (E. Burke)
There are two kinds of failures: those who thought & never did and those who did & never thought (L. Peter)
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm (H. Thoreau)
The most successful people are those who are good at plab ‘B’ (J, Yorke)
Human diversity makes tolerance more than a virtue; it makes it a requirement for survival (R. Dubos)
It is better to suffer wrong than to do it (S. Johnson)
People do not lack strength- they lack will (V. Hugo)
We will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends (MLK)
We are all something, but none of us are everything (B. Pascal)
The worst lonliness is to not be comfortable with yourself (M. Twain)
Character builds slowly, but it can be torn down with incredible swiftness (F. Baldwin)
Treasure your relationships, not your possessions (A. D’Angelo)
A good heart is better than all the heads in the world (E. Lytton)
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause & effect (R. Emerson)
Never ignore a gut feeling, but never believe that it’s enough (R. Heller)
Life can only be understood backwards: but must be lived forwards (?)
A weed is no more than a flower in disguise (J. Lowell)
A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person (M. McLaughlin)
In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned in life: It goes on (Robert Frost)
Joy is the best make-up (A. Lamott)
We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them (K. Gibran)
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give (W. Churchill)
The pain passes, but the beauty remains (P. Renoir)
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible (Voltaire)
No one ever became poor by giving (Anne Frank)
21. Rescuing a dog from the Humane Society when I was 10
22. When my mom would take care of me when I was sick
23. When mom would take me to the mall – so we could get away from my brothers
24. Getting my pink banana seat bike for christmas
25. pressing flowers with my grandparents
26. Drawing lessons with my grandmother
27. Learing to play chopsticks on the piano’
28. Any time I got a letter or card in the mail from my grandmother
29. swimming in our pool in the backyard
30. dyeing easter eggs with dad – he tought me to put a rubber band on it to make a neat design.
31. When my mom would bake a cake for my birthday, or
32. Some years when I would get to pick out a cake from the grocery store
33. Chucky Cheese
34. Payday Dinners (the only time we would go out to eat)
35. When my dad and grandfather remodeled the bathroom and kitchen – I thought it was beautiful!
36. Our house – I thought it was huge, but actually it was only 1200 square feet
37. Going camping
38. When my dad took us to Disney Land
39. When my mom made toquitos -yummy
40. riding in the back of the station wagon.
I cleaned out and organized all of my letters that I have been holding on to. I got rid of all the letters that I didn’t care about – ones from old boyfriends and people that I have not talked to in 15 years or so. I only want to hold on to the cards and letters that make me feel happy – and those are the ones from the people who love me.
I have to have everything planned out, so this was a big achievement for me. We took off and drove to the northern part of our state. Hit lots of antique stores. Stayed overnight in a small touristy town. On the way back we ended up in a small town that had a bike race going on. That was probably the best part of our little trip. Would like to try again – maybe by leaving the state