Kelly and I did not adopt a child this quarter, but my heart has been more opened to the possibility than ever before. The obstacles that I thought were too huge don’t seem as big now, and I am deepening my faith that God will continue to provide for our family, no matter what health struggles continue with my miracle wife. Special thanks to my teacher, who encouraged me to stick with the project even though I had no idea how it was going to play out.
We have plans when this school year ends (next week!) to continue our own journey in this regard by gutting out the seemingly impossible “hobby” room and preparing it for guests.
I know that my life has been changed by being able to help another in their adoption journey. The fundraising concert for Jeff Brown who is adopting twin Congalese girls was successful in many ways. A significant chunk of change was secured for their future travel to Africa. Probably longer lasting, was the ability for Jeff’s music and passion to shine through in a wonderful collaboration. Although I did not really use tweets, blogs, and social media to connect people to this project, the old fashioned text message was valuable to network our rehearsal, planning, and idea celebrations. I invited one co-worker who told another co-worker that invited her entire evening class. Social information is definitely an important tool.
If you want to believe in miracles again, just check out Jeff’s blog about how God keeps providing for their every need. http://lovethatcameforus.wordpress.com/
As a performer in the benefit concert, I was most concerned with the actual quality of the performance. I wanted to capture an incredible moment with recorded audio/video, that would be good enough for Jeff to sell. This did not happen due to a top of the line brand new audio recorder being used that we had no time to “try out” before the concert. We would not know until after the concert how the audio came across, which unfortunately was “clipped” or distorted. The audio from my dad’s camera was also distorted with kids talking in the background. The compromise was to edit the audio using audacity, and piece it together with some meaningful images from the concert itself. For this I stumbled upon Windows Movie Maker Live that I didn’t even know was on my computer. While not as effective as the many Mac programs that do this, it got the job done and allowed me to learn another presentation tool (this week’s class topic). I had forgotten to set up the video camera, but making a slide show over the audio allowed me to easily condense an 11 minute intro and song into a more manageable 7min. 50 sec. This is still a bit long for our YouTube culture, but short enough that prepared hearts may benefit from it.
Hopefully in the near future, Jeff and “the band” will be able to record this song in the studio for him. For now, I am happy that this wonderful concert evening helped to change at least my life, and the lives of two beautiful girls that are waiting to come home soon!
God bless, and please consider if you have a tug on your heart to adopt children in need of a home,