1. repent a little – not too much
2. make a vegetarian hotchpotch (to use up the mock meat in the freezer)
3. clean the floors on bended knee
4. spot clean the rug where the dog licks
5. dress springlike
7. design a newsletter cover page
8. attentions, affections
9. nip to the library
10. pop into the bank
1. persistence (I did not throw out a favourite moth-holed iphone-pink cashmere cardigan, but found online tutorials that teach all manner of repair)
2. more paperwork done
4. middle of the night poems
5. attentions, affections
She is a shambles. Two coffees will do
that to you. Do not tell me what you put
in them, she tells him at the coffee shop.
Just give them to me. The sugar alone
makes her giddy, but that is what she needs.
He has switched to tea. We do not need tea,
the way we sink to our knees for coffee,
she says. We take tea. We take it on the
front porch, cordially, and if he knew
what crumpets were, she would take them with it.
It is an addiction, he knows, and the
thrill of being indulged that makes her say
these audacious things. He wants her to say
“take tea” again in her sugar-high voice.
Everything she says sounds like a craving.