dreams more recently.
today I was in a two person canoe on the ocean.
we were paddling hard, in a race of some sort. there’s some strong momentum going and I look up to see that there’s a large mirror floating up ahead, that we’re coming quickly up to. this is apparently a sign to turn around and head back.
we do, and then I notice that we’re swamped. that my knees are just visible above the water in the boat. it’s nearly full up with water.
Last summer the local art walk made the process of visiting multiple galleries in one fell swoop so so easy and delightful.
The art walk also became the occasion for a sort of ambiguous date that escalated a flirtation into something that was inadvisable, a little awkward, but also fun and delicious and fleeting.
The museums are still my go to places for meeting up with people and also for eating lunch from time to time.
And on off days from running. Probably best to do some core work.
65 sit ups on Saturday.
I think stress is the main culprit for gaining 10 lbs over the past year or so. That running hasn’t been a consistent part of my days is a contributing factor.
Time to get back out there then.
Three runs in the past week feel like not too much.
- New yoga experience thanks to summer buddy m
- J and D old unconditional friends and the chance to celebrate them
- change, witnessing people embracing it, affirming that it’s possible
- the color orange, in it’s many manifestations
crazy fast and easy. love the idea and reality of making this quick crispy salty snack.
- running, quickly
- a meeting I was kind of dreading, turned out ok
- a note from the IRS saying: you owe $0
- the exercise of listening, closely
- the library
- G’s family. they are delightful
- older friends, K and M, who remind me of the full arc of living
is never really done. but I think I’m habituated now and converting my daily clutter bust into tidying, cleaning and other household maintenance type tasks.
I recently read Stuff an incredibly compelling account of case studies of hoarders of various sorts. While I’m as fond of my things, with their various functional, aesthetic and personal value and meaning, as the next person, it was instructive to note the great distance between my attachments and some on the super dysfunctional side of the spectrum.
- M and his always honest check-ins. it’s great to have a “classmate”
- tea with MH, purely social, long overdue, great new place and we’re back in a groove of sorts
- got a meeting done without even trying very hard
- J and her fantastic attentiveness, not sure what we did to deserve her, but she always always goes above and beyond and I feel lucky
- getting called on some shit. the other shoe was going to drop at some point, grateful that it did and now we can move on.
- making plans, making progress
- getting great use daily from my reading
- sharing whoopie pies and stories with L
- a dog in the house (somebody else’s dog, and just for a couple of hours, but still)
- one of our former students doing a bang up job
- mom and her unconditional support
- awesome stay-cation exceeding expectations
- M and her brave face
- wise counsel about being available
- Midnight in Paris, which was just the ticket for today!
- getting to introduce a friend to the delights of the Korean spa scrub. and subsequent extreme smoothness.
- hearing hilarious humanizing stories about coworkers
- the 780 bus. takes me exactly where I want to go, and speedily.
- good lunch with D. pushing our program in the direction it needs to go, plus all kinds of good updates about art and life.
- the prospect of advancing professional practices curriculum by developing a relationship that’s been dormant for too long
- nice talk with M and learning about a whole area of shared interest I had no idea of!
- a way forward, thank goodness, at least for now, on troublesome real estate challenge. thanks to getting a little assertive with professional help when necessary.
- my cousin, for doing what she can, optimistically, despite obstacles
- mom :) and dad for good cheer
until this week. sent a bunch of thank yous.
I’m stamping and addressing the envelopes first, then writing the letter.
has invited me to her uke lessons. looking forward to going at least once.
made whoopie pies!
(also tofu salad w/ginger dressing and spicy roasted potatoes)
the intention of this goal is wobbly, may need to reframe.
there are too many local folks whom I only see on facebook!
really? I’m not sure what’s happening to me, but in the last week I’ve baked a yellow sour cream cake and a carrot cake, complete with cream cheese frosting.
Also continued the exploration of kale salad variations…
are not so far from me and last weekend made a major dent in this goal.
Art in the Streets was completely worth it, the strange artificiality of seeing this work inside the museum complete with tagger animatronics (!) was offset by how effusive and comprehensive the installation was. The whole thing – giant virtual quotes and dollar signs hovering above skateboarders (guarded by museum guards) taking on the Geffen contemp ramps which seem to have been made for boarding – deserves a second visit.
- nice outing with P and a chance to download on various family issues. good to have someone who has years of context upon which to base empathetic listening.
- buying art from a preteen ceramicist. kids were great at talking about their work!
- cuban sandwiches, and in particular the one from Beach City Market this afternoon. pressed, sliced, pickled goodness.
- inspiration for the art sale project and for mapping projects upcoming
- sunny, windy, day after the rains. the range of weather.
- talking to E about her writing on a lovely collaboration ongoing
also, easy soup: Moroccan carrot – sweet and delicious
and made a lovely sesame dressing – fresh ginger, rice vinegar, peanut butter, sesame oil, sugar, chile sauce – tastes great with parboiled broccoli and carrots