So… our meeting Monday went wonderfully, we love our agent and broker, both are wonderful, knowledgeable, lovely ladies. They loved us too, said we have everything going for us – first time buyers, no debt, decent down-payment, solid job, great credit score, handy, paperwork and homework done… we talked for about two hours, handed over a bunch of paperwork and have since been pre-approved for a bit more than we need for what we want. The interest rates are currently still lower than they’ll probably ever be, and even a 10 year lock in is very decent. We’re feeling good about that and are ready to roll – if we can just find a place to roll to.
We had a private viewing of the place we’ve been interested in yesterday. Now that the tenant is gone you can see some of the roughage better (plus she made off with the dishwasher and left a mess), but nothing that couldn’t eventually be fixed up nicely with some blood, sweat, and tears (+ $). The price also dropped yesterday, so there may be more interest. The owner doesn’t live in the country anymore and really, really wants to sell as soon as possible.
One thing our Realtor has said is that we’d want to have the hot water tank and furnace (both original) replaced and should factor that into any offer we make. She seemed to think it needed some aesthetic work, but otherwise was a no-brainer, especially in regard to location. Sliding doors and windows are being replaced in the next couple of years, covered by the contingency fund and a slight bump in strata fees, but that’s something that we would have wanted to do anyway.
Another factor is popcorn ceilings – ew. Other than not looking nice, dating the place, and being a bitch to get rid of (though not impossible), prior to 1978 some of them contained asbestos, so that’s something to look at, because this place was built on the cusp the production ban, and it continued to be installed in some places until the product ran out.
She also found out about another opening in the same complex – a bit more expensive (and therefore getting more interest), but more updated. We’re seeing it tomorrow and are still trying to figure out whether or not we want to make an offer.
Things to ponder, things to ponder. Are we interested in trying to get a potentially great deal and doing a lot of work (though it’s move-in-able) but having it just the way we want someday, or going deeper into the pockets and trying to get a place that’s already had some of the wrinkles smoothed. Or waiting for what is starting to feel like forever while our kids get bigger, our rental gets smaller, we all get older, and our roots get hungrier…
Oh, I hope we can check this off the list someday. Someday sooner rather than later. 11 months ago