- A little gardening work. Everything is so beautiful but growing so fast! Time to trim some trees and mow the lawn.
- Time to read.
- A good treatment with J. After all the stress of the funeral it was sooo good to be taking care of myself a little.
- More big, beautiful, juicy strawberries ready for the picking. Yum :-)
- Fresh clean sheets.
- Treating myself to a healthy take away meal of dahl and naan bread.
- Deep, restful, uninterrupted, refreshing sleep.
- Inner peace, love and acceptance. 2 months ago
- An easy restful day, reading, relaxing, watching a DVD before bed.
- Feeling that life is returning to normal. Those small routines that beat silently and solidly in my life are returning and I am feeling more grounded.
- Beautiful music filling my little home and wrapping itself around me.
- The Inherited One who is beginning to feel more confident in his new home and is eating well.
- For accepting that the wheel of life continues to turn, tears dry and life goes on after the pain. Amen. 2 months ago
- A beautiful new day of sunshine and warm weather.
- Hugging my son C, telling him how much I appreciated him being here the past few days and thanking him for all he has done for me. Such a good son :-)
- Moving the remaining items of M’s into the spare room, tidying the unit and reclaiming my space after having lived in chaos the past few days.
- A much needed snooze in the afternoon.
- Going to ‘Eat Street’ for a meal with friends and gently returning to normality.
- An early night and a good night’s sleep. 2 months ago
- Laying M to rest.
- Saying goodbye in a wonderful, joyous celebration.
- Beautiful flowers that now festoon my little unit and are a reminder that life is a cycle.
- Sleep that came easily and deeply.
- Heartfelt love and appreciation for all who have loved, helped and supported me during this difficult time.
- Oriental lilies which are my all time favourite flower. 2 months ago
Today I am so grateful for:
- My son C performing miracles. The spare room has always been a shambles and with M’s belongings having arrived, my little unit was stacked to the gunwales with boxes, baskets and loose items. C got in, emptied the spare room, moved in M’s furniture, set up the bed and then, while I was out running errands he re-stacked everything neatly in the room for me to sort out later. I came home to a beautifully tidy unit and a huge job had been taken off my hands. Wonderful, wonderful :-) xx
- A small worry being sorted. Thank you thank you.
- Having the opportunity to see M again at a private viewing. It was a wonderful part of the healing process to be able to see my boy and say goodbye before the funeral.
- Music that has kept my spirit strong during these difficult days.
- Words for the eulogy coming easily.
- The way the Universe works. For the past two weeks I had been thinking about a book I read 12 years ago and how it would help a friend. I wasn’t sure if I still had it to lend and so I couldn’t believe it when I saw it sitting on the top of a bookcase in the newly tidied spare room. When I told my son I had been thinking about this book for the past two weeks he said “It was the only thing in one of the boxes I was going to throw out. I nearly threw the box out thinking it was empty, but something made me check inside first.” Some things are just meant to be :-) 2 months ago
I am grateful for:
- My son, C arriving from NSW. Such a strong, handsome young man, here to support me.
- Having only 2 things on my ‘To Do’ list. So nice to take half a day to breathe.
- C preparing lunch and dinner. Two ‘real’ meals being made for me. He, his brother and I all shared a great love of food and cooking.
- Having a full day’s rest tomorrow when I will have time to reflect and write M’s eulogy.
- The first of the summer strawberries ripe on the vine. There were three, one for C one for T and one for me and they were delicious :-) 2 months ago
Today I am grateful for:
- Technology that allows us to create our own DVD’s. I have been making M’s tribute DVD for the funeral and it has been a wonderful aid in my healing process.
- A small break from things and doing something ‘normal’ like picking up milk and bread which helped to remind me that life goes on.
- Herbal remedies that have helped me to sleep and wake refreshed each morning.
- My son in NSW ringing me every day to check I’m OK. He will arrive tomorrow to spend some time with me before the funeral.
- Life – our greatest and most glorious adventure. 2 months ago
I am grateful for:
- Helping hands that seem to appear from nowhere when I need them.
- Text messages of condolence and love.
- People who have brought flowers when they visit and filled my home with beauty and life.
- Offers of financial help that have been gratefully received.
- The laughter that comes with stories of M’s antics as a child and as an adult.
- A growing picture of a young man who touched many lives beyond those I knew of.
- The lesson of accepting help and not trying to do it all on my own.
- Music which has helped keep me uplifted.
- ‘The Inherited One’ who sits with me each morning as I write my gratitudes and sneaks onto the bed at night :-)
- Each day getting easier. Amen 2 months ago
- Family photo albums and Face Book postings. So many photos of a wonderful, happy boy.
- More visitors and people who are happy to listen to the stories, the reflections and make endless cups of coffee.
- All the kind words and support from my family here on 43Things. We are a family even though we may never meet in person, we are indeed kindred spirits. Thank you.
- Feeling the beginnings of acceptance.
- Love in abundance. 3 months ago
- Texts and phone calls from people who knew M. I am comforted by their love and concern.
- People who help, funeral home staff, friends, my ex partner. Thank you thank you.
- For Chester – The Inherited One – M’s cat who has come to live with me and is settling in quite well despite having to cope with two dogs.
- Sleep that comes slowly but deeply and soothes my body.
- That time heals all wounds and this too shall pass. 3 months ago
Today I am grateful for:
- All the beautiful people in my life and here on 43Things who have expressed their love and have supported me in different ways during a difficult day. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.
- The peace and serenity of my garden. So many people have visited today and we have gone into the garden where we have been surrounded by ‘life energy’ where our hearts and souls have been comforted.
- For other people’s fond memories of my son. A new picture emerges of a person who cared and loved even more than I realised.
- For those around me who have taken care of my physical needs, made coffees, reminded me to eat, hugged and held me. Thank you.
- For sleep. 3 months ago
Thank you Saraband for your words and hugs.
It is indeed a sad day. He was 34 and looked so like his Dad who passed away when he was only 2 years old.
I will miss him.
Chester 3 months ago
Today I am grateful for my beautiful son M, aka The Buff One, who passed away suddenly.
I am grateful for:
His tender heart, his hugs so freely given and his ‘I love you Mum’.
His wicked sense of humour and his impish naughtiness. Something he never grew out of.
His intelligence. A good mind so often amazing me with his knowledge.
Having shared his journey through life, short though it was, he challenged me and made me grow.
That he is at peace. Amen. 3 months ago
- Another day of work and the prospect of being called in to do a ‘pilot survey’ next week. Thank you thank you.
- A good treatment with J. The last one for the year and it feels so good.
- Christmas lunch and dinner menus all sorted :-) Happy with that.
- Being aware that I have been eating mindlessly over the past two weeks and that I need to pay more attention.
- The usual “going on a break from work and must use the time wisely” list. LOL It continues to grow :-)
- Looking forward to wrapping the Christmas presents. 3 months ago
- A good night’s sleep and waking rested and refreshed.
- Christmas excitement. I have planned the table decorations for Christmas lunch and the lunch menu is coming together nicely.
- This TED talk by Brene Brown
- Having the courage to work on allowing myself to be vulnerable.
- The energy of connection. 3 months ago
- Getting the lawn/jungle mown. All this rain has made the grass lovely and green but boy, does it grow!!
- A fantastic night’s sleep. Working a 6 day week tires you out.
- Australia won the Rugby League World Cup final against New Zealand. Woo Hoo.
- Buying my Christmas present from absent sons. A new Kenwood mixer :-) It has a mincer attachment as well as an ice-cream mixer and I save $105 on the retail price to boot. Thank you thank you Santa Claus I’ll be cookin’ up a storm this festive season!
- Replacing my loose and baggy size 12 white pants with the next size down. They had become my favourite pants so got washed a lot but I have toned up so much since buying them that they were literally falling off me. 3 months ago
- A break in the heat. The rain came last night and has continued all day. So very very refreshing. Thank you thank you.
- The festive decorations and the huge Christmas tree in town. The city has come alive for Christmas.
- Routines and rituals. I have enjoyed the past year living alone. I have developed routines and rituals that bring peace, joy and order to my life. My home is filled with an amazing energy and when I come home after a night at work it just wraps itself around me and says ‘You are safe.’ Thank you thank you :-)
- Bills paid. Thank you thank you.
- Potato wedges with home made tomato, cucumber and red onion salsa with sour cream for dinner last night. Gotta use those cucumbers up! LOL ;-) 3 months ago
- Super light, loose clothing. It’s 34+ today and I am really appreciating that I am now 31kg lighter! The heat isn’t so crippling when you are not covered in layers of fat! LOL ;-)
- Air conditioning… in trains, in shops, at work… thank you thank you!
- Water. Thank you that I have potable water wherever I go.
- My son and girlfriend’s excitement about their new puppy Yoda (see pic above)I hope he grows into those paws :-)
- That my morning shift is a later start and I will get to sleep in a little tomorrow morning. Yaaay :-) 3 months ago
- 6 more crisp, crunchy, delicious cucumbers to pick from the vine!
- Hot,hot,hot weather. I think it hit 30+ today.
- My beautiful, wonderful, amazing little garden. So green, cool, lush and relaxing. An oasis in the middle of suburbia.
- Peas! I have flowers on my pea plants! Woo Hoo. Baby Sugar Snap peas for Christmas!
- My friend J arrived safe and sound in NZ. I sure will miss her. 3 months ago
I hadn’t heard of this before either, but it’s so yummy that I am going to include it in my nutrition. It’s green wheat, picked while it is not mature, dried and then roasted. Check out this video and website for more info http://www.greenwheatfreekeh.com.au/
Chester. 3 months ago
- Peaceful breakfasts in my beautiful garden.
- My iPod. I’d be lost without my iPod when I go to the gym. So good to have music that motivates me while I workout.
- Inspirational quotes on Pininterest.
- A hint of sadness as my friend J leaves for New Zealand for Christmas. She will be away for 2 months. I am grateful for all the fun we have had together.
- Freekeh. My vegetarian friend gave me some salad made with freekeh and it was soooo yummy. Never heard of it before but will definitely be adding it to my grocery list. 3 months ago
- A good workout at the gym. I always feel great after pumpin’ iron LOL
- The Universe providing me with a car park at the train station. Thank you thank you.
- The joy on my friend J’s face when she bought a new top and realised she has gone from a size 26 to a size 20. I am so happy she has finally been able to see progress.
- A wonderful text chat with my Son in NSW. The puppy is coming next Friday. He and Jen are getting excited.
- The magic of the Christmas season. As commercial as it is, I do like going into the shops and seeing all the festive decorations that festoon the place. I especially like going into the kitchenware section of a big department store and seeing all the table decorations. Yaay! Christmas is coming! 3 months ago
- A break in the humidity. It has been so muggy lately, it’s nice to have a day with lower humidity.
- Cucumbers, cucumbers, cucumbers! LOL :-)
- My strong and lean body.
- Star Dogs that visit on a regular basis. Douglas is so cute and persistent at getting you to play ball.
- Left over lamb roast from the Christmas dinner for dinner at work. Just as good second time around. 3 months ago
Yep, had another little win the other day that I have forgotten to record. It was about $10.50 just enough to buy the winning lotto ticket in the next draw LOL3 months ago
- More fun and chiaking with my friend J. We banter and tease each other and have so much fun. It’s nice to have a friend who hasn’t been beaten down by the ‘Politically Correct’ thought police.
- The amazing late afternoon storm we had. My goodness it just bucketed down. It was raining cats and elephants!
- The amazing greenness of my garden. All this rain has made everything so happy and green. Now, even on the hottest of days, the outside area feels lush and cool.
- Yellow ladybirds. I had a yellow ladybird land on me. I’ve NEVER seen a yellow one, in fact I didn’t know there were yellow ladybirds. I text my friend who is a ladybird lover and she said they are very lucky. Time to buy an extra Lotto ticket perhaps? LOL
- For having the strength to be honest about The Heart Of The Matter issue. It is now in the hands of the Universe. 3 months ago
- A fantastic surprise Christmas dinner. The slow roasted shoulder of lamb was an absolutely melt in your mouth OMG experience.
- The JOY of cooking for a group of people. I have had soooo much fun over the past 2-3 days preparing pate, hunting and gathering the ingredients, dressing the table and then putting up a meal that gave me the best sound in the world… a long chorus of “MMmmmm, this is delicious.” Bliss :-)
- That the storm held off until the end of the main course and I was able to have the best part of the celebration outside in the fairyland of my beautiful garden lights. MAGIC :-)
- My dishwasher. Bless the person who invented dishwashers.
- For the counsel of friends. I have a decision of the heart to make and it has been so good to have friends who are being truly honest with me. They have helped me to see the heart of the matter and to be honest and true to my own heart. 3 months ago
- A super duper all over workout at the gym. Haven’t done one of those since the 12WBT. It felt great to have worked every part of my body.
- Breakfast for lunch. Who said bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and an egg can only be called ‘breakfast’?
- Tomorrow is the Christmas Dinner surprise for my friend J. I can’t wait to see her face! And the menu is … Entree – Brandied chicken liver pate. Mains – Spanish slow roasted shoulder of lamb with roasted vegetables, pomegranate beans and pan juice gravy. Dessert – Eton mess made with fresh blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, surrounded with a mixed berry coulis.
- Making plans for the long break from work over Christmas and the New Year. There are plenty of ‘free’ things I can do to keep occupied and to enjoy. Parks, walks, art galleries, gardening, going to the gym, reading. The break will pass quickly.
- This song Pumpin Blood by NONONO3 months ago
LOL I too have Mac – everything. I have been a Mac user for 30+ years. My first Mac was a Mac Classic computer.
I have never had a PC and I have just posted how grateful I am for my Mac technology.
Thank you thank you Steve Jobs. A true visionary who gave the world computers and iStuff that works. 3 months ago
- A morning spent in the kitchen making pate for the starter to Saturday night’s dinner. OMG! I just made a pate to die for LOL
- The new survey, which is a repeat of an old survey, that is easy and pleasant to conduct.
- My life being so simple. Wake up, be grateful, enjoy the day, go to bed, be grateful, go to sleep – repeat.
- The fantastic Mac technology I have surrounded myself with. Simple, reliable and sexy to handle.
- That I am always evolving towards my higher self. 3 months ago
- A good night’s sleep. I woke refreshed and restored. Thank you thank you.
- Weigh in day and another kilo lost! Woo hoo! I am well and truly in the ‘healthy’ range of the BMI and staying there :-)
- A visit from the Star Dogs. I missed them when they went back to the ex’s place, but they still visit each day. The cat that yells at you all the time I miss… not so much. LOL
- My friend J came for iPad lessons and has become a dab hand at downloading free books from Amazon LOL
- My beautiful little garden which is an infinite source of joy.
- CHRISTMAS IS COMING …. I love Christmas and the preparations for the table and cooking. Sat night’s early Christmas for my friend means I get to do 2 Christmas menus this year :-) and I love it! 3 months ago