Countdown clocks to the World Cup and Olympics have been added to blacktieandflipflops.blogspot.com 9 months ago
1. It’s World Elephant Day
2.Finding the wee little hole in the roofline and knowing I can fix it
3. Packages from eBay
4. Free “compost” parts from the farmer’s market
5. The first cuppa 9 months ago
with the overhaul of my blog haiku is really going to be a regular feature; all the old haiku will be recycled into the new blog with new ones intermingled; haiku usually strikes me in places like waiting in line, waiting in the doctor’s office and other places like that – I may very well have to do a “find all the post it notes with clever haiku on them” goal 9 months ago
links to my recipes that have already appeared on Hot From The Kettle are now listed on the favorite recipe link section
links to the articles I contributed that are timeless (ie “Save The Date Charity Dinner” articles are not included) 9 months ago
be still my heart! 9 months ago
1. Farmers Market mornings
2. Big rainstorms
3. Photo time after the storm
4. Getting a new electric grass trimmer
5. Peanut Butter 9 months ago
gonna do it – been playing with all of the juicers at Williams Sonoma and this is the one I love – 9 months ago
things are clicking …..
I had a mini meeting, basically to establish the time for a more formal meeting at which time I’ll be discussing a new fundraiser for a soup kitchen, once approved I will be sharing the details here and most likely hot from the kettle
additionally we’ll be discussing doing cooking classes as a fundraiser for the soup kitchen 9 months ago
this morning at the farmers market I asked one of the farmers for the lettuce leaves, beet tops, and other stuff that was one the ground only to be swept and probably discarded later – its headed for my compost 9 months ago
1. It’s Friday
2. Cranking out a last minute story and having it go live moments later
3. The stash of Girl Scout Cookies
4. A comfy bed
5. Chinese Food (delivered) 9 months ago
1. Having things go live on my blog, holding back is the hardest part.
2. Discovering Badger Balm Anti-Bug Balm
3. The new auto schedule feature on hootsuite
4. Regaining my motivation
5. The Big Bang Theory 9 months ago
1. Being the lucky recipient of a friend’s fancy schmancy uber expensive treadmill (they’re moving)
2. Making major blog progress
3. The gardens; I can always find my center when in the garden
5. A great night’s sleep 9 months ago
the drought is taking its toll on the gardens, as did the warm dry winter, but the plants are hanging on with regular watering from the rain barrels 9 months ago
I’ve set up a few blogs to post in the coming fortnight, and am filling in space with my photos that have the most favourites on flickr so that there will be daily posts
in many ways the revised blog will be a little more magazine in feel 9 months ago
all of the existed posts are now in “draft” mode so everything can start fresh 9 months ago
with the overhaul some of my old haiku will be reposted ; and maybe I can get my haiku groove going again 9 months ago
1. Making the decision to overhaul my blog
2. Getting my iced tea groove back
3. Discardia / donatia
4. Pool time with the wonder dog
5. A real break in the temperatures 9 months ago
It’s a big undertaking.
I started it about the same time I joined 43things. Since then I have really established myself as a food writer and photographer and need to showcase that work that’s all my own.
Given all the personal things in my blog, and some of the more passionate political things I’ve written I’ve decided to revert everything to “draft” mode and start fresh with some of my favourite posts, recipes, and photography being repeated. 9 months ago
I launched Black Tie and Flop Flops in 2006 and described it as “Discoveries, Musings, and Passions of a Californian Lost on the East Coast” The title and description fit so much of my life perfectly, sometimes too much.
Since its start my internet personality has taken off. I write for two popular local food sites, launched a semi-career as a food photographer, and have found that there are some very, lets say significant, people who follow me on twitter.
While personal posts like “OMG the best episode of Dr Who ever is on tonite” will continue to be a part of BT&FF, things about the crazy lady at church, somewhat direct posts about politics of a certain stripe, and mentions of my fathers alzheimers are a bit much for what will be a more professional blog.
So today I am putting everything from the old BT&FF into “draft” mode so it is hidden from public view. Starting Sept 1 a New Black Tie And Flip Flops launches that will stay more on track with lots of food, environmental stewardship, and a hell of a lot of kick ass cool photography.
Oh yeah, and being a major fan of Cooking Channel I am applying a lesson from them as well. Cooking Channel rebroadcasts a lot of older material from Food Network. I’ll be picking and chosing things from ‘old’ Black Tie and Flip Flops to be posted as new material for a new audience.
And I have some other things up my sleeves that I’ll be sharing soon.
1. Its clean slate monday
2. Puppy time
3. Evening church services
4. Overnight rain
5. Garbage day 9 months ago
1. Water from the rain barrels
2. Figuring out some of the changes for the garden
3. Pool time
4. Having my own washer and dryer
5. Waking up without an alarm clock
1. The Immedicenter
2. News of a new Trader Joe’s – much closer to home
3. Twitter followers
4. Sleeping in
5. Letting it go to voicemail 9 months ago
1. It’s a new dawn, a new day, and new month, and I’m feeling good
2. Big Bang Theory Marathons
3. My chiropractor
4. Free delivery from the Chinese Take Away
5. Long hot showers 9 months ago
1. Not freaking out when Yahoo failed
2. Not freaking out when hootsuite failed
3. Believing what I am told (that I really can write)
4. Rechargeable batteries
5. News of a new Trader Joes 9 months ago