Indeed. 18 months ago
The desk and bookshelf I ordered finally arrived. My little Office Corner is now complete! It’s really more of an Office Wall, but whatever. I work from home two days a week, and now I actually have a place to do so. Working with my laptop in bed just wasn’t productive, and was also rather uncomfortable.
This progress has motivated me to get the rest of the house in order. I’m going through all my stuff, getting rid of things, putting a bunch of stuff I’m not ready to part with in storage. Feels good. 21 months ago
It’s a fresh start in a new(ish) city! I’ve been in Oakland about a month and a half now. This apartment is serving as my home AND my part-time office, so it’s really important that I feel comfortable here. This is a much smaller apartment than my SF one, so I’m having to downsize and make some adjustments.
Things I need to do:
- Buy a desk and some bookshelves and set up the “office corner”
- Organize the closet and get rid of some stuff
- Organize the hope chest and get rid of some more stuff
- Put some stuff back into storage (anything I don’t immediately need)
- Buy a garbage can
- Buy a footstool (everything is really high here!)
- Get some new storage containers (bathroom and under-bed)
- Set up some cat areas 22 months ago
Right now, all of my stuff is in storage and I am doing an extended house-sitting stint for my parents. I have a month to find a place to live. The last month or so has been weird, bouncing around from place to place with only the essentials. The cats and I are moving to Oakland, probably a studio or small 1-bedroom place. The original plan was to get a house with a friend, but that seems to be delayed and time is running out.
Big changes ahead! Excited for the future! Exclamation point! 2 years ago
This is even more important now that I’m living in this apartment by myself. K took a lot of the furniture (I got the kitchen stuff), and a year later, I still haven’t re-furnished the place. I can’t really have company over, and this is a shame because this place has an open kitchen with a huge living room attached, which is good for entertaining. I need to change some things around, I need to make this MY home, not OUR home.
Things To Do:
1. Completely re-organize everything in the entire apartment. Throw stuff away, move things around, etc.
2. Get some art or photos and hang them. The walls are boring – K took all that stuff.
3. Buy a couch or loveseat.
4. Buy a coffee table to go with the couch.
5. A rug to go under the couch and table. You see how this all fits together?
6. Consider buying a television. I’m not sure I want to do this just yet. I waste so much time when there is a TV around and it’s been something like 5 years since I’ve owned one. I guess I don’t have to get cable, but what would be the point without it?
7. Get the ugly heirloom chair reupholstered. I expect this to be really expensive, so in the meantime perhaps I can find some sort of cover for it.
8. Solve the dinner-table problem. Right now I have a cart-thing in the kitchen that in theory could be used as a table, although it is somewhat high and would require that I obtain some stools to go with it. It’s also a bit too unstable to be a real dinner table, but that hasn’t mattered lately as I haven’t had anyone over in ages. I’m thinking about getting rid of it, or moving it, and purchasing a very small kitchen table and chairs.
9. Get another book shelf – a small, waist-high one for the “read” piles.
10. Put up a little curtain by the cat box in the living room. No one wants to see that.
11. Buy new sheets. I’m still using the ones that I did when K lived here. It’s time to change all that.
12. Re-finish the antique chest thing. I’ll probably have to take it somewhere, and I’m sure it wont be cheap. It doesn’t look too bad, so this is for future reference.
13. Buy a small file cabinet (single drawer will probably be fine) to organize all the paper clutter. SO much paper clutter.
14. Get the vacuum fixed. I’ve been having to borrow K’s, since he’s the one who broke it in the first place right before we broke up and he feels bad about it. I don’t like having to rely on him for anything these days. 2 years ago