It all came to a head last night. I had been told off by my manager for the millionth time. Feeling rather emo, I jumped in the car and drove to a random town 60km from work in the rain and fading daylight, just because it was totally dangerous. Also because I hadn’t been on that stretch of highway before. Made it back, then decided I still hadn’t recovered, so took myself out to dinner. Didn’t really think too much of it except for 3 things. What were those 3 things? Well, when I woke up this morning, I had a few more revelations too:
- Revelation no 1 from last night: That was my first time out to dinner ever
- Revelation no 2 from last night: It felt really bloody good. The waitress must’ve realised and suggested a table opposite to where everyone else was sitting. She served me really well too.
- Revelation no 3 from last night: This is pretty much 4 years to the day I watched my first movie by myself
- Revelation no 4 (this morning): Second time I’ve ever driven impulsively by myself, but the first one of proper duration (the first was during 30 min lunch break, this was a good 2 hour return trip). Maybe something I don’t want to repeat, but I was amazed at my driving stamina after 14 months of driving hundreds of kilometres every weekend (that’s what happens when you work in rural areas and anything of interest is so far away from everything else).
- Biggest revelation of them all (this morning): I have now done everything by myself that people aren’t supposed to do by themselves. Eat out for dinner (I haven’t done brekky or lunch but would never hesitate unlike dinner), go out to movies, shopping, travelling, the lot. Maybe the only thing I haven’t done is lived in a foreign country, but the timing isn’t right quite yet, and I know I wouldn’t have any issues doing that.
Right, I’m taking myself out to karaoke Thurs night. At the local pub. I’ll be sensible—no drinking. If anyone tries to do anything inappropriate, I’ll just up and leave (chances are high given it’s a low socioeconomic area but as one of my goals is to do probono work in developing countries I better get used to unwanted advances). 7 months ago