It’s much harder to actually do this than to say what you’re going to do (which is what you do in the first year). 3 months ago
People doing thisSee everyone
and convocation is in the spring!
So relieved and happy to be free :) 8 months ago
So now I’ve started the paperwork to do the electronic submission of the thesis and wrap this thing! but unfortunately my supervisor informed me that a committee member has suddenly come to her and wants changes. She is withholding her signature on paperwork until she sees proof of changes. Its a last power play on her part, Im not surprised, but Im disappointed b/c I would have wanted our relationship to end on a higher note. I will keep going and the goal is to have it truly done by Christmas.
update: paperwork submitted. Now waiting for permission to do electronic submission. Go go go!
Update 2: Tried electronic submission but it was sent back due to date error. Second attempt failed due to old computer brower. Attempt 3 coming tommorow. Please please!! 8 months ago
Thesis was successfully defended yesterday. It was smooth and I was nervous but it went off without a hitch and it was accepted without changes. I am so happy, relieved, and free of my thesis for the first Christmas in many years. I will count this goal as finished when I complete the electronic submission and forms.
I think I still may be in shock… 8 months ago
Date set for Dec 2nd.
Finished the defense presentation slides. Now I’m re-reading back ground articles from the intro.
-Get copy of thesis printed
-Make notes on questions supervisor thinks will be asked.
Update: Double ugh. Amount of information is ridiculous. Supervisor is sending overwhelming amounts of information to look over. Going to do my best. 8 months ago
and it looks like my external is chosen and my defense is likely to happen in November. Ok! date set! 11 months ago
Relief and some discomfort. Almost like I’m afraid it will come back. Trying to get my head around the fact that its almost over. 12 months ago
-Thesis sent out to all the committee members for a pre-read
(fingers crossed that revisions are minimal/none)
-Need to update thesis with latest references from potential external examiners
-Generated list of 3 potential externals that meet criteria
-Called Uni – 3 copies of thesis to office/2 copies to grad office, external examiner form, thesis approval form 13 months ago
-Submitted both article 2, 3 to journals and they are under review
-Working on revisions for the whole thesis which I hope to finish tomm.
-Preparing to call the Uni to get infor on thesis deposit (e.g. how many copies, paper or electronic)
-Sending supervisor info. on external examiners and may research a few myself. ...
fingers crossed this ends soon 13 months ago
If I could sum up the process of working towards gaining my PhD in four words it would be “No thank you please”.
- A micromanaging supervisor who is reactively aggressive and defensive lest his ideas be criticized. I have been spoken over, and provided with tautological fallacious explanations for why the status quo must be maintained because the status quo must be maintained whilst the status quo is maintained. Thanks for that.
- I have issues. Mainly with the epistemological direction my thesis is taking. I have other issues too, but I’ve put them in my handbag for now and will pull them out when looking for my bus pass next. My thesis belongs to another person,presumably my supervisor who changes it at whim and wants me to accept his suggestions, then criticizes them when I incorporate them into my writing. Inconsistent parenting at its finest.
- Being wide-eyed and funding hungry, I accepted a PhD where peer support is minimal.
- I run analyses for other students’ projects so my supervisor does not have to. This would not be a problem except that I am not paid for this additional work and on any piece of work submitted I am not named as a co-supervisor. It’s often tiring to perform because my supervisor is obsessed with finding significant results – so if I slave away for a day this can be swept aside and remain unacknowledged until the right, aka ‘significant’ result is found. Beyond being infuriating, it’s comical. I wonder if this happens to others?
Having vented some of my angst, I aim to create a step by step approach to finishing the damn thing.
1) My thesis needs to be between 60-100,000 words long. How on Earth is this going to happen? I don’t know. So far I have written a few papers up for publication (superficial achievement in my view as the papers don’t feel like mine mainly because king supervisor took over). I suppose these could form chapters, but how are the chapters going to be arranged?
2) I need to find out how PhD theses in my dept. are typically structured. It might help.
3) I need to have a series of clear things I do generally on a daily basis (e.g., readings, 100 words a day write up) and then a series of specific tasks that need to be completed. Gantt chart here I come (again… I I keep flirting with them, but never creating one I settle on).
4)I need to figure out what the hell I am going to do post- PhD… the money would be in the field of status quo-ism and I’m not sure I am broke enough to accept that. I think parts of me are dying off slowly and if I remain in this field of study within a field study, I am going to lose my marbles. They are going to spread out, some people with pick them up, others will slip on them and I will be left with no marbles whatsoever to play with… 15 months ago
Intro – done
Article 1 – done
Article 2 – done
Article 3 – done
Overall Discussion – done
Supervisor has finally admitted concerns that indicate she is slowing down the process, likely deliberately, to achieve publication over submission to my academic unit. Not impressed. 15 months ago
After almost ten years, I finally finished my PhD! It’s a miracle! I never thought I would finish, but I finally have! 16 months ago