How I did it: I blogged about it at "Por el carril bici desde Tres Cantos" (sorry, it is in Spanish, but you can find automated translations to get the gist of it... if you do not want to learn Spanish).
In a nut: it took a lot of time, which was good, because I did not overtrain. However, I struggled with this goal because it took me a lot of time losing weight; or more precisely: it took me a lot of time finding my own way to stay at my ideal weight. Once I was at my ideal weight, it suddenly was much easier. Read how I did it… 1 month ago
After almost five years, this dream has come true!
This was the oldest goal I had here at 43t. I accomplished it in a race at the Retiro Park, in Madrid.
I blogged about it (in Spanish, sorry).
I will write a “how I did it” story, but now I am too tired to do it. 1 month ago
Running a 10K at 7min/mile means running it within 43:30. I will put the deadline at midnight of the 1st of September. It will be tough, but not impossible. I run recently an 8K in less than 38:30, which means a pace of 7:45, so I have “just” to improve 45 seconds in about four months (around a 10%). 5 years ago
Today I have smashed my own Half Marathon Personal Best: it dropped from 1:46:14 (in 2011) to 1:35:41 :) more than 10 minutes!
The fact I am at my lowest weight ever (72 kg) obviously helped a lot. But it also helped learning about the flow state: I looked for flow while running, getting a constant pace, and enjoying the rhythm between my steps, my breathe and everything else.
It has been a delightful experience!
It is funny that I only missed by 2 seconds my 10K record… which is a great pace (for me) if we take into account the fact I still had 11 km to go at that point ;)
Being this the current situation, I am convinced I am about to complete this “7 min/mile 10K” goal very soon. Just need to look for a 10K in the horizon! 3 months ago
So, now that I have completed a marathon, this is my next goal about running. I will focus on this for the next months, fingers cross! 6 months ago
For 2013 I want to run a 10k in 42 minutes
42:59 will do
To be sure, this goal will take a while
Right now I reckon I can eek out a 48:00 effort, but lopping off a whole minute/mile is a tall order
But heck, its what I want to do 7 months ago
last 3rd June I ran a kilometre in 4:02.80 (within a 10K run). It is the fastest I have ever recorded, which makes me quite happy (I was flabbergasted when I checked the timer). Hope to break the 4 min barrier soon.
Meanwhile, I still keep working on my subgoal: I should run a 10K in 45:37.50 or less by 17th June. I tried it some days ago, but it was a bit too early and the track was really tough, so I finished in 46:26 (which is not bad anyway, comparing with the last month’s results).
I have subscribed already to race on that day. Fingers cross. 11 months ago
As I said previously, I split this goal into subgoals to make it easier.
I am happy to say I have achieved the first subgoal, about running a 10K in in 47:45 or less by 13th May. I did it in 47:07!
I subscribed to another 10K for next Saturday to work on the second subgoal. Maybe it is too early, but let us see. Yesterday I ran 10km in my neighbourhood, and I succeeded to do a 10% at 7min/mile :) so I just have to focus on the remaining 90% ;) 12 months ago
I have been running a bit in the last months, but not having smaller goals, I have not really focused on running a sub 7min/mi 10K. It is too hard (for me) to reach it in just one day, so I have designed these intermediate goals:
1) by 13th May run 10K in 47:45 or less (7:40 min/mi)
2) by 17th June run 10K in 45:37.50 or less (7:20 min/mi)
3) by 22nd July run 10K in 44:33.75 or less (7:10 min/mi)
4) by 26th August run 10K in 43:30.31 or less (7 min/mi)
I set them on 8th April, and… actually I have already reached the first one: I took part in a race on 15th April, and I finished in 47:07 :) so I am already going for the 7:20 min/mi. 13 months ago