As it can’t really get done until I’ve finished putting trim in the upstairs hallway (so I can have the nosing ready for the top stair, so I can recarpet the stairs, so I can put tile in the foyer so I can put in baseboards over the tile….) 6 years ago
And I’ve picked out some nice loopy high nap carpet for the stairs, looks much more luxurious than it’s low price reflects.
And for the foyer, a densely textured linoleum that looks like slate, but isn’t. I decided against any kind of tile because it’s such a high traffic area, I want the cleaning to be quick and easy. But I don’t want it to look like vinyled bathroom floor either. I’m hoping this will be a good compromise.
A man comes to measure and give me a pricing sometime this week. I’m already cringing over spending the money. 7 years ago
I’ve been needing to renovate this area for a while, but been putting it off because it’s going to cost money I don’t want to spend. But I’m tired of having a run down looking entrance. It’s depressing to come home to and I don’t particularly want people to see it when I answer the door.
Problems to solve:
- carpet on the stairs is badly stained and torn
- hole in the wall from by confused elderly dog
- outdated brass fixtures
- parquet flooring is worn and moisture damaged
- front door is boring
- outside trim around front door was badly painted
- overgrown shrub
- baseboards looking pretty rough
- bannister needs repair where it connects to wall
- walls are undecorated
- family items getting left all over the floor
- windows were caulked with something dreadful that has seeped
- mail box is ugly
- door mat is too small
- needs something to dress up the front walk
I have one of those houses where you just keep wondering “what were the last owners thinking?” I’ve already painted the walls a nice warm green, but before that they were dark orange to waist height, medium orange to the ceiling and a strip of wallpaper around the middle that had a turquoise print on it. I really wish I’d taken a “before” picture before I painted. 7 years ago