This didn’t go as easily as I’d hoped. Its just impossible to spend 9 hours at work at a computer without going online. Impossible. Especially when you hate your job. But I did succeed in not going online outside work from almost the whole week. On Monday I had to turn on the computer to do my banking/budget stuff and it was all down hill from there. Also, at work I made myself eat lunch in the cafeteria and socialize with people rather than using that for pure internet time.
On Tuesday I watched about 10 minutes of C-Span to find out the results of the Pennsylvania primary, but otherwise I avoided TV and movies entirely.
With all the free time in the evenings and over the weekend days I did manage to make some progress on my other goals.
4. Go to bed by 10:30 on weeknights – done 2 nights and close 1 more. Way better than usual!
7. Learn to identify trees – read a bit in my field guide and got to thinking about learning the usual locations of the trees would help me. Not that I actually did anything much with that concept.
10. Learn about beer – I finished the latest issue of Beer NW magazine and read chapter one of Brew Chem 101
11. Get a bike and ride it – I finally went bike shopping to get an idea of prices and what is out there. I did that today though, not during Mental Detox Week officially, but I planned this outing during the week. That’s gotta count.
14. Spend less time online – for sure!
15. Do the 2008 TBR Challenge – Finished one book and started another
21. Learn to identify 25 local birds by sight and song – Bought a couple bird coloring books to help me learn, haven’t used them yet. Also read a bit in my field guide and discovered that the reason I can never find the birds in my yard in the guide is because its a guide for the mountains! Duh! I guess when they say “Cascades and Olympics” they’re not assuming “region”, its just the mountains.
27. Volunteer once a month – I spent Saturday morning at the wildlife reserve
28. Do the couch to 5K running plan – Did 2 days of week 8 and decided to quit!
32. Learn Spanish – Starting on Wednesday I listened to my Spanish audio lessons in the car. All the time!
40. Be diligent about washing produce before I eat it – continued
41. Always keep a LIVING flower in the vase by the sink – continued, although without photo evidence.
42. Learn basic plumbing – unclogged the shower drain.
I have to admit that I would have done at least some of this regardless, but certainly not all of it! 5 years ago