I actually started this goal a year or two ago. I created a column, solicited responses, and had a fair blog built up.
But then I got busy and things fell by the wayside.
I was talking to some friends at happy hour last week and somehow this topic came up; I told them about my old column and mentioned that I wanted to start a new one up.
They really liked the idea, and now I’m really excited about this old project and I’m ready to start a new column. I think I want to approach this one a little differently, though, and write about it from a bit more comedic of a perspective (think something somewhat related to Ask E. Jean from Elle and loveline), but I also want to approach it from a young and modern angle. Advice columns are so dated and formulaic and I feel like they limit the types of questions they can get because of their strict format.
So here’s what I have in mind:
- Funny. Never attacks the letter writer, of course, but finds the humor in anything.
- Openminded. Solicits letters about love, careers, life, sex, etc.
- Actually gives good advice. This really is the main reason I wanted to start this goal up. I give great advice (insert horn toot here).
- Blog has to have a nice, sleek layout. Maybe slate grays and blues with yellows.
- Book reviews for self-help books?
I know it sounds strange, but one of the things I can’t figure out is if I want a picture of myself on the site. I know that helps put a face on the advice, and that can actually help attract readers and letter writers, but I like to be anonymous. Maybe I’ll keep sunglasses on…
Can’t wait to have the time to start this! I’m off work starting on Wednesday, and I have a feeling this is going to be a major project. 2 years ago