Popclogs is basically just the upgraded version of 43T? Is it run by the same people, and we are all being herded over there? 19 hours ago
People doing thisSee everyone
Who is not on popclogs yet?
Is there any reason why you’re not joining popclogs? 1 day ago
Do any of you wonder whether the Bots are secretly loving the sinking of the ship with all us still on board? 1 day ago
just a quick update from you guys who are always updated with current status of 43T.
as I know 43T is supposed to be fading away started in Jun or this month. but I recently it seems just ok.
May I know/ double check…
1. if 43T is saved? that it is not shutting down but will continue?
2. if it’s shutting down, when will be the estimate month/date? so that I’ll get ready with back up.
I really not used to popclogs! 1 day ago
is ‘candid camera’ the correct term for those prank TV shows?
where funny pranks happen to unwitting passer-bys in the street.
is that the correct generic name for them? or is that an out-dated term?
also: how would you simply describe what ‘toilet humour’ is to foreign students? (intermediate level)
x 2 days ago
Collectorofcats I don't know what happened but I responded to the emu's latest question which for some reason just disappeared
Here is the questions as I answered them just in case some error was made to just make everything disappear.
post random questions daily and see if anyone plays with me and answers them :)
Collectorofcats commented Toilet talk and other jokes
- what do you think of the experiment? Was it interesting or an irresponsible prank? Are you speaking about the original prank for candid camera using the sexes or your idea using English language challenged folk? Of course, The results may have depended on how each of these people were raised. In general, most folks are curious on how the other half lives. I would have chosen the ‘us’ toilet simply because I am not a ‘them’.
- the result of the prank/experiment showed that more women opted to use the ‘them’ toilet. Is this as you would expect? what do you think this tell us? Candid Camera is a really out of date show and I suspect that episode was filmed in the 1950s or early 1960s. Women were still living in a patriarchal world where they were considered subordinate even by their own terms. I suspect the results might be quite different today.
- does it tell us anything about gender roles in society? Look at my previous answer.
- how do you feel about joke tv in general? Depends on the jokes
-is it fair to bring unsuspecting members of the public into a prank? It would depend on whether it was meant to humiliate or demean them. If it doesn’t and is done in good fun, there is no harm in including the unsuspecting public. I wouldn’t stage a fake gun shoot out on the main street in any town in a CCW state, however.
- when has the line of acceptability been crossed? (when has a prank gone too far?) I cant answer that one. It just depends.
- what about when children are involved? Laughing at children and the silly things they do/say? what about pets? I love seeing cute pranks involving children and pets as long as no harm comes to either.
- are there any really funny pranks on tv you remember? Tell the group. Nothing specific comes to mind right now.
- what is humour? What makes something funny? To me, it would be funny to watch an emu herding cats.
- Can anybody be ‘funny’? Are some people better at it than others? Comedians are good at it because they have a lot of practice.
- Humour changes through time. Things there were funny in the 50s often aren’t found funny today. Do you think prank tv always be funny? stupid question as it would depend on the prank. but the students can decide that. Prank tv is always funny although I consider the Jackass series to be self effacing.
- what makes humour change through the years/decades? The audience.
- Do you think it is important to be able to laugh at yourself? Of course, the most successful comedians made their mark being able make themselves the brunt of the jokes they tell.
- What are some common subjects that people like to joke about? Sex, relationships, animals, rednecks and other singular social groupings.
- Does humour always translate to another culture/language? Not always.
- should people be careful about the jokes they tell and to whom they tell them? Maybe. David Chapelle will often tell racially sensitive jokes to a primarily black audience and be widely received but I imagine that if he were followed by a white comedian telling similar racially sensitive jokes that that same audience they would react differently. Of course, no one is allowed to use the n word unless they are black. My feelings on it are no one including a black person should be using it if it is so offensive. One black person calling another black person the n word is not an endearment or a black power thing and is just as insulting as if anyone else did it. I do not want anyone whether black or otherwise calling me a cracker, honkie (where the hell did they come up with that?) at anytime. The same is true about jokes involving illegal immigrants. Everything is acceptable and above board when someone who is an immigrant to our country tells them but don’t let someone whose family has been here 200 years tell one because that’s rude and hateful. Oh, get over yourselves, people. We were all immigrants at one time. No Irish need apply and so on….I’m Irish by the way.
- When shouldn’t you tell a joke? In which situation? Hijacking and terrorist jokes shouldn’t be told in airports or on planes.
- What are some situations when it is impolite to laugh at a joke? If you’re the only one of two heterosexual males in a bar full of gays and lesbians and your dumbass friend you came in with starts telling demeaning gay jokes, it might not be the ideal setting.
- How can a joke hurt someone? Physically no. A mean practical joke can humiliate a person.
- when can a joke be offensive? All jokes can be potentially offensive depending on the audience.
- Why do people say ‘laughter is the best medicine’? Supposedly, there is medial proof that laughter and a happy disposition lead to a longer lifespan. Then there is the theory that people who ate chocolate regularly live longer. Recently, this theory was debunked. Whether or not eating chocolate actually leads to a longer life or not, I would rather continue eating chocolate and and be happier then not eat chocolate and live the same amount of time unhappy without chocolate. And because the consumption of chocolate makes me happy, wouldn’t that lead to maybe living a longer, healthier life?
can you think of any other questions I could ask? anything to expand this and get them talking in their groups further? anything that leads on from this? You can theorize how life has changed in regarding the sexes over the years. For instance, how has society treated women over the last 150 years? you know for instance. that when the elevator was first invented men were only allowed to ride that contraption? Women were not allowed because it was considered dangerous and were forced to use the stairs.55 minutes ago
See parent 2 days ago
I remember years ago, we each gave 2 true facts and 1 false one about ourselves and people tried to guess which was the false one… wanna do it again? 4 days ago
This morning has been one of those ‘cloud-gazing-day-dreaming’ days.
So complete the sentence in the picture…
5 days ago
Re. 43T Contact List
I just want to let people know that I am having to draw a line under this, once the final loose ends have been tied up. I’m really sorry to anyone who has not yet joined. I can add newcomers to my list as administrator, but as I have now finished collating personal lists with people’s sharing preferences and have sent lists out, I won’t be emailing lists in the future. If you PM me your email address and popclogs and FB names, if you want them recorded too, I will add your details to my master list. I’m really sorry, but actually rolling the list out has taken such a huge amount of time, taking into consideration people’s individual sharing preferences and now the majority of work is done, I am having to draw a line under it, or run the risk of this becoming my new full time job!! I hope people can understand.
MM :) 1 week ago
Place your bets ladies, gentlemen and woodland creatures.
When do you think 43T will pull the plug? which exact day…
Winner gets all my cheers for the rest eternity. (43T’s eternity)
Furthering a comment made by Donna1 week ago
How come we’ve suddenly got all our photos back?
what’s happening? I thought they were letting the site die a natural death… then pull out the ventilator plug at the end of this month 1 week ago
Mine have reappeared.
Is it the same for anyone (everyone) else?
So you are driving along and you have car trouble. There are two houses up ahead. The one on the left side belongs to the famous Jenner/Kardashian clan. The one on the right belongs to the famous Robertson clan (Duck Dynasty). Both invite you and your family to stay for dinner/rest stay overnight until your car is fixed and you can be on your way. Which invitation would you accept? and why? 1 week ago
Have you exported your account yet?
I followed the instructions but all I did get is a txt file. Is there something I miss? How are we going to download a txt file? Don’t tell me it’s only copy and paste?
Is there a better way to download this? I don’t have any important writings but I just don’t want to lose this for sentimental reasons. 1 week ago
How much chardonnay is too much chardonnay? 1 week ago
It bums me out that I added my Russian goals in 2011 and now I won’t be able to mark them as complete now. It would have been really satisfying to see it added in 2011 and then click that “I’m done” button.
Which goal are you most bummed about losing?
What’s the coolest place (in your opinion!) that you’ve traveled to? 1 week ago
- So about how many flies do you think the average person kills in their lifetime?
- Do you believe you are on your way to doing your share of dipterocide (mass murder of winged insects)? Or do you believe animal rights should extend to the insect world, even those that are harmful?
- What is your preferred method of killing flying insects?
- Have you ever had a venus flytrap? A pitcher plant?
- Are you one of those people who are classified as allergic to bug bites and carries an epi-pen?
- Which insects do you find the most troublesome in the Summertime?
- Do you believe in the myth that insects bite certain people because of blood type? Or because of external factors?
- Do you use personal insect repellent regularly in the warm weather months?
- What are your feelings on spiders? 1 week ago
I don’t really understand the appeal of this show. But it’s top-rated. I can see why people would like it as a show in general but not a sitcom.
Please explain to me why it’s so darn popular. 1 week ago
Does it bug the living scheisse out of you to see punctuation problems, grammatical goofiness, spelling stupidity?
What’s your personal bugaboo?
Mine right now is the possessive and pluralization of a family whose last name ends with the letter S.
Mrs. Harris is here for her Botox appointment, doctor.
All the Harrises have had work done, though they’ll never admit it.
Woe betide you if you get in the way of the Harrises’ standing appointment with their plastic surgeon! 2 weeks ago
Don’t you lot feel a bit like we’re the last to leave the party?
guests who’ve over-stayed our welcome?
People on PC keep boasting how they’ve shut their accounts on here… yet I’ve still got the exact same number of subscribers (207). Hmmm… guess I can deduce that none of those damn midges subbed to me :(
Have you felt the pinch on your sub numbers?
Now even the 43T logo is missing at times :( 2 weeks ago
Why do Mollie, IntWomanofMystery, Gottawonder and Spy all still have their avatars and I don’t?! Pure treacherous treason, I tell you! I’m The Exquisite Empress and they’re just plain parishioners of the Kitty worshiping kind. 2 weeks ago
Many of you may remember the story of my cousin. His eldest daughter was walking to the school bus. As she crossed the road, a car hit her. She was in a coma for 18 days. it took years for most of her injuries to heal. She is still healing. My cousin wrote a book about their experiences for the past 7 years.
Please feel free to share this with everyone you know to help my cousin with his book.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1423157255/seven-years-of-truth 2 weeks ago
why do people keep writing here ? how do we transfer our writing to the clog site or anywhere ? 2 weeks ago
I’m wondering how you (yes, you ) feel about laws that force you to protect yourself. Laws that are “for your own good.” Laws that make the use of seatbelts in automobiles mandatory, or that require motorcyclists to wear helmets, or that limit the size of soft drinks you can buy at a restaurant. Maybe you can think of other examples. Anti-drug laws and prohibition come to mind.
Are laws like these justified? If so, why? If not, why not?
Which laws would you eliminate? And which ones do you advocate?
Inquiring minds wanna know.
Personally, I’m against any law that interferes with the law of natural selection.2 weeks ago
This question is not about whether you think the French ban on full headscarves in public is right or wrong, but whether you also find their logic contradictory:
‘The court ruled that the ban “was not expressly based on the religious connotation of the clothing in question but solely on the fact that it concealed the face”.’
Then they further with all these exceptions:
“Exemptions from ban on public face covering:
- Motorcycle helmets
- Face masks for health reasons
- Face covering for sporting or professional activities
- Sunglasses, hats etc which do not completely hide the face
- Masks used in “traditional activities”, such as carnivals or religious processions”
With all those exceptions, with sporting, professional activity covering and masks for ‘traditional activities’ permitted, it seems to me that they are very much aiming to exclude face covering that solely stems from the Muslim religion. I mean, christian/catholic carnival masks are permitted. Why is one allowed and not the other? What’s the expression, what’s goose for the gandar?
Is there any logic in what I say or not?
This is not a discussion whether we agree with the ban or not. Just the logic and whether you think the ban is deliberately engineered at banning Muslim covering yet hypocritically/conveniently permitting coverings that suits the French traditions. which to me would imply that the ban is based upon the religious connotations of the clothing.
P.S. still <3 you Jin. 3 weeks ago
has anyone figured out how to save my precious words which i have been writing here for many years ? 3 weeks ago
I am wondering about whether to take this thing in for repairs and cleaning or if I should simply retire it.
I’ve had this computer for 3 or 4 years. I use it for everything, most days for hours. Mainly I edit photos.
Today I downloaded the 400 pictures from yesterday’s wedding. iPhoto has been crashing so often, I deleted a lot of photos just last week. A lot is thousands.
But today, during the initial download, it crashed. Then it repaired the library. Then it only downloaded 16 photos, after telling me it had downloaded the full batch.
Since the entire experience was so erratic, I did not delete the photos as I usually do, so was able to go back and down load a second time. Still a failure. I picked up another 4 photos.
At this point, I am going to use the PC but the photo editing program is not nearly as versatile, so this means a quick edit of most of the photos, then emailing to myself so I can transfer to iPhoto for the editing I want on probably 60 or more of them.
Clearly I cannot do this anymore.
What I am wondering is whether others have had similar problems with iPhoto and what has been the fix? 3 weeks ago
I was inspired to share this by Always Free to Choose – just found it a rather interesting coincidence that this sort of communication-differences thing had been on my mind and suddenly someone had posted a Love Languages quiz! Click, click.
Me: “I finally got rid of my dad’s old slide projector. I feel kind of upset about it.”
Spouse: “Why did you get rid of it then?”
Me: “What? We’ve talked about this stuff so many times. You know, because it’s not clear it still works, it takes up extra storage space when we already don’t have enough space, I never wanted to end up with it in the first place – it’s kind of my brother’s fault that I even have the old thing – and anyway, I want to get that digital slide conversion viewer thingy instead. Seriously, who would ever want to sit and watch me project slides from the ‘70s on a sheet?”
Spouse: “Then why are you upset?”
Me: “I don’t know. Part of me feels like I should keep these things like they were sacred items because this machine was kind of a centerpiece of many family gatherings when I was really little and my dad still enjoyed photography and sort of making it a family activity. But then when I was carrying it in to the donation center, I felt really sad and angry that my dad himself had never even pulled it out of storage since the ‘70s. If my brother and I neglected to ask after something, my parents always just said, ‘Oh, we assumed you didn’t care about that anymore.’ I wish my dad had made a point of resurrecting the old slide-viewing tradition.”
Spouse: “Well you didn’t have to get rid of it.”
Me: “Aren’t you even listening?”
Spouse: “I don’t get it.”
Me: “Okay, um…I’m happy, but I’m also sad that I got rid of it, and I also feel sort of guilty and mad. But I’m not sorry I got rid of it. It was just taking up space, and seeing it made me feel bad.”
Spouse: “That is way too complicated for me.”
So have you ever found yourself trying to explain to a friend and/or loved one the phenomenon of mixed emotions? If so, what words did you use?
haha…thanks! 3 weeks ago