Here are the plans I followed to construct the worm bin:
It was very simple. I asked the worker at the hardware store to do all the cuts for me, expecting to pay 25 cents per cut, but he gave them to me for free. After that, I only needed a screwdriver and a few other non-power tools. It took one afternoon/evening.
Just need worms and some junk to go in there. The chickens produce lots of “junk” (and so do we, in the form of table scraps and yard clippings). 23 months ago
How I did it: We vermi-composted when the kids were small. It's a fun, interesting activity that produces stuff worth it's weight in gold (if you garden). The year we did this my tomato plants were twice as big as usual.
So I tried to find the old system (a simple bin with aeration) and couldn't. So I purchased this stacking system instead. It seemed great because it has 3 tiers and a nozzle for collecting the liquid (composters call it 'tea'...you can put it on your plants.
BUT...It seems more complicated to feed the worms and harvest the compost, and we don't like it as much as the old bin, where you just threw stuff in, and got the 'dirt' out.... Simpler is better, in our opinion.
Plus, my pug eats the nozzle. It's a mangled mess that I can't get any 'tea' out of anymore :) Read how I did it… 23 months ago