i applied for two jobs today. i’m new to this job hunting as i have not done it in a while. excited to try to do it.it is a waiting game now. 11 hours ago
Get rewarded for your shopping skills on Shop for Fun
People doing thisSee everyone
After almost a year of job searching I have finally found a new job! Unfortunately it’s only a temporary job (6 month contract) but I’m so happy to be from my old company – everything about the place was getting me down and making me feel depressed.
So I was prepared to take the risk – leaving a permanent job for a temp one – and I am so much happier!! I actually look forward to going into work every day’ something I haven’t done for years! 1 week ago
I applied for a job at a local Kohl’s store, and at two different Targets last night. I’m going to call them tomorrow and ask about my application. I figured I should at least give them a little time to actually receive it and possibly look at it…
My current job still sucks. And I got a talking to about e-mail collection last night, because I had 427 transactions and 0% e-mail collection. Perhaps I would take the time to ask for e-mail if they didn’t short staff the place so often and leave me with sales floor people who either ignore me when I call for them or take their sweet time coming to the registers.
But whatever. It’s just one job, right now, at one point in my life. Someday things will be better. I just have to keep trying and be patient. 2 weeks ago
I hate my job. I’ve never been so bored. Yesterday I got the bright idea to volunteer for a position that I turned down during my interview.
Now I’m going to be doing sales. Which is something I promised myself I’d never do again. I’m terrible at it.
I would quit if I didn’t need the money.
The worst part about it is that I actually like everyone I work with including my boss. This is just not where I want to be in my life at the moment. I just need to stick it out until next summer. 4 weeks ago
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought about just walking out of that place or putting in my two weeks, but I always stop myself because I do need to be able to pay my bills, and I do need to keep professional relationships and good reference options.
But I hate that place, I really truly do, and I need to leave it.
Here are my reasons:
1) The pay is terrible.
2) The hours are terrible, and yet they continue to over-hire. We just got at least three new people. I am lucky to get 20 hours in a week.
3) The coupon and return policies are terrible and anti-customer. I hate enforcing them. I don’t know how this place has any customers with policies like that.
4) I’m bored to death of cashiering, although that is likely what I’ll end up doing at another job.
5) There are certain managers that are just plain toxic and need to go. I hate working with them and walking on eggshells around them.
6) I don’t like what I’m selling. I work at an arts & crafts store, but I only knit and crochet and don’t have the time or money to indulge in any other hobby. I can’t relate to a customer who can afford to buy $100 of scrapbooking stuff or fake flowers, both because I don’t do those things and because I don’t have that kind of money to drop on frivolous things.
7) I hate that everything in the place is made in China. Part of my attraction to crafting, DIY, and handmade is getting away from mass and inhumanely produced crap. But all of the materials they supply in this store are sourced from China – so what, then? I know it’s pretty impossible to avoid Chinese made items but it’s one of my problems with working at that store.
8) They’re wasteful. They routinely throw items away because they are past their season, and those things only end up in landfills. We have no recycling program.
9) I dislike that most of the things people buy are just going to be thrown away, anyway (foam kits, little dollar tchotchkes, etc). But that is more my problem with American culture and materialism/consumerism. I really, really don’t belong in retail for that reason.
That’s all I can think of for now, but it’s enough. I wish I could just quit and then begin looking for a new job but I know that with my anxiety that it’s going to take me a long time to find a new one. I need to seriously begin my new job search while I’m still employed. 4 weeks ago
I spent now two months without applying for jobs. My “golden parachute” enabled me to take a little sabbatical.
Must say I’m getting envious to people who have an interesting job. The sabbatical wasn’t entirely scot free—my wife decided to spend quite a lot of our time, effort and money on her pet garden project. While it’ll definitely be a beautiful garden in the future, right now all it was, just a lot of driving, four-digit seemingly endless spending out of my cushion (instead of killing the car loan!) and chatting without end about the topics I’m not interested in.
My money cushion is being depleted quite quickly—and we still haven’t bought a new telly or an iMac :( nor paid off the car loan, but our garden is set and some furniture has been ordered, too. Then wife needed a very expensive dental treatment (guess where the money came from?).
This puts some feeling of uneasiness into my mind. It wasn’t meant to go so quickly. It was meant to keep me running a few months, give us a great sunny holiday, then kill off the car loan and snowball the money previously wasted in monthly loan repayments into my mortgage. That’s what it was meant to do.
I guess I must now bring tighter financial controls in effect, otherwise wife gets her dream garden and I get nothing but the loads of bills and effort, and will have to continue paying off the loans like an idiot. It’s extremely stupid thing to waste money you can’t replenish – but tell that to her, she’s not particularly financially apt.
I will soon start to actively seek employment, it sucks to pay, pay, pay, the bills and not to have anything coming in to replenish the account. Plus some financial products require a stable income into your account. And it feels great to be a breadwinner, to earn something every month. When you’re at home, this sense is blurred (typical chant is: w00t, you aren’t doing anything, are sitting on yer arse, while other people move on with their careers!)
So let’s gather ourselves. Today I woke up early, gave my dog a long, long walk to clear my mind, took a shower and breakfast and went into my study, to start cleaning the mess off my table—and off my life.
Let’s gather ourselves together, and move towards the great future. 1 month ago
I don’t know why I’m sticking around because it’s apparent that despite all the work I do, I’m not respected in my current job. I get overlooked for promotions in favour of junior members of staff and my line manager got handed a promotion (and a payrise) last year that he really didn’t deserve – and since then he does even less than he did previously, as if he’s too important now to get involved with the day-to-day work of the department. And muggins here gets to pick up the work he no longer does, plus the work of the incompetent employee that HE employed, plus the work of the person who left and hasn’t been replaced for 6 months because HE hasn’t got off his arse and got the recruitment process moving fast enough! And what thanks do I get for it? Well, in my appraisal, I get the basic “achieving targets” rating… exactly the same rating as the incompetent member of staff whose work I constantly have to correct. It’s an insult. I feel like I’ve been kicked in the stomach, and I’m done with it. 1 month ago
From the lack of hours, to the lousy pay, to the complete lack of opportunities to advance, I no longer want my job with my current company and now must seek a new one. 1 month ago
I’ve really got to get going on this and take my own advice. I told a friend who is also applying for jobs that you have to treat it like a game and pretend you’re applying on behalf of someone else who is totally awesome. 1 month ago
I am not treated with respect after working there for over a year. The main manager treats everyone like children she needs to keep in line. The store is going down the drain and all the good managers and employees are gone or are on their way out. I need a job where I am treated with respect. I always treat others with respect, I am one of the most polite people you could meet, and I can not stand being treated like a stupid piece of dirt. 2 months ago